Garden and grounds volunteers
Join with Holliday Park staff and other volunteers for hands-on, dig-in projects that help keep Holliday Park beautiful! Come out for general Garden Work Days or Rock Garden Workshops — or both!
For more information about the dates and programs listed here, please call (317) 327-7180.
2013 Labor & Learn Workshops
Horticulturist Chris Turner leads these workshops, imparting knowledge and directing projects. Join this enthusiastic and dedicated group of volunteers in caring for the rock garden, milkweed patch, daffodil hill and other garden hotspots. It’s fun to labor and learn while beautifying Holliday Park! No registration needed, just show up! All sessions held rain or shine. Tools and refreshments provided. Sessions qualify for volunteer/training hours for Master Gardeners.
All sessions are 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- March 29 — Spring Clean-up
- Weather permitting!
- April 5 — Starting Seeds
- Save money and expand the variety of plants in your garden by starting your own seeds.
- April 19 — Dig & Discuss
- May 10 — Self Sowing Plants
- Some plants are happiest in your garden when allowed to sprout where they want to.
- May 24 — Dig & Discuss
- June 7 — Gardening in the Shade
- Shade doesn't have to be a challenge. There are opportunities to grow many plants in the darkest corners of your garden.
- June 21 — Dig & Discuss
- July 5 — Trough Gardens
- Learn about these unique containers that are used by collectors of rock garden plants.
- July 19 — Dig & Discuss
- August 2 — Gardens of France
- We will go inside, and escape the heat, for a travelogue about the gardens in and around Paris.
- August 16 — Dig & Discuss
- August 30 — Dig & Discuss
- September 13 — Late Summer Abundance
- Some gardens really peak in late summer with tropicals and fall perennials.
- September 27 — Dig & Discuss
- October 11 — Overwintering Plants
- With frost coming, it is time to figure out how to save non-hardy plants.
- October 25 — Dig & Discuss
Garden Work Days
The diverse landscaping and gardens of Holliday Park provide visitors beauty no matter what the season. Here’s your chance to become a steward of these beautiful grounds.
Everyone is welcome, and tools and refreshments are provided. Hours are 9 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- March 27
- April 10 & 24
- May 15
- June 5 & 19
- July 3, 17 & 31
- August 14 & 28
- September 11 & 25
- April 6 & 20
- May 11 & 25
- June 15 & 29
- July 13 & 27
- August 10 & 24
- September 7 & 21
- October 5 & 26
Watch this page for date listings through the summer and fall.
You may download and print flyers about these workshops and work days:
Garden Work Days (PDF, 152 KB)
Labor & Learn Workshops (PDF, 528 KB)